A commitment to better care
December 6, 2016
The five-year CMS Oncology Care Model will provide treatment following nationally recognized clinical guidelines for patients undergoing chemotherapy, with an emphasis on patient-centered care delivered in a timely, coordinated manner. The services may include:
- Coordinating appointments with providers within and outside the oncology practice to ensure timely delivery of diagnostic and treatment services;
- Providing 24/7 access to care when needed;
- Arranging for diagnostic scans and follow-up with other members of the medical team including surgeons, radiation oncologists, and other specialists that support the beneficiary through their cancer treatment;
- Making sure that data from scans, blood test results and other tests are received in advance of patient appointments so that patients do not need to schedule additional visits;
- Providing access to additional patient resources such as emotional support groups, pain management services and clinical trials.